Ontario Tourism Region : Northcentral Ontario
- Pop. 75,665. In Algoma Dist. on the St. Marys R., which connects Ls. Superior and Huron and Hwy 17 and the S terminus of the Algoma Central Railway, linked to Sault Ste. Marie, MI, by a railway bridge and highway bridge.
- The Sault (pronounced Soo), as it's known, has always been a natural meeting place.
- Long before Etienne Brule 'discovered' the rapids in 1622, Ojibwa tribes gathered near them because, in winter, the fast waters of the rapids were often the only open water for miles around, and whitefish could always be caught.
- The First Nations Peoples called the place Pawating, meaning 'bounding or turbulent waters.' Brule named the place Sault de Gaston to honour Baptiste Gagnon, Duc d'Orleans, brother of Louis XIII and, at that time, heir to the throne of France.
- In 1668 Pere Jacques Marquette established a mission at the site and named it Sainte Marie du Sault. The first of a series of locks to help boats past the rapids was built by the North West Company in 1798.
- The post office opened as Sault Ste. Marie in 1846. In 1870 the United States refused to permit the steamer Chicora, carrying Col. Wolseley's Red River Expedition, to pass through the locks.
- In 1814, Swiss-born Montreal fur trader Charles Ermatinger built a fine stone residence, which today is a museum and the oldest stone residence in Canada west of Toronto.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email email@example.com
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Algoma.
Address of this page: http://on.ruralroutes.com/saultstemarie