10 Lawton Rd.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northcentral Ontario
- Pop. 3,521. In Cobden T., Algoma Dist., near the mouth of the Mississagi R. and the N Ch. ofL. Huron and Hwys 17 & 557, 123 km. SE of Sault Ste. Marie.
- Champlain noted the location on his map of 1632 as 'the place where the savages gather yearly to dry blueberries and raspberries.'
- It was known to the Ojibwa as Penebawabikong, meaning a sloping rock, but the sheltered settlement site got its name in 1837 from voyageurs who were unable to see the mouth of the river until they were very close to it.
- The name Mississagi, or Mississauga, means 'that which opens its mouth to strike,' and was the name given by the Ojibwa to the rattlesnake. Early settlers came to work for lumber companies, an industry that continues, along with uranium mining.
- The Pronto Mine, 19 kIn E, was Ontario's first producing uranium mine, opening in 1955. A post office was established in 1877, when mail was hauled by dog team across the ice from Parry Sound.
- Timber Village Museum just east of town contains relics of pioneer lumbering operations and a full-scale replica of a logging camp.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Algoma.
Address of this page: http://on.ruralroutes.com/blindriverontario