8547 Grassy Brook Rd.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
- Pop. 867. Part of the City of Thorold, Reg. Mun. of Niagara, on the Welland Canal, 6 km. N of WeIland.
- The settlement began at the southern terminus of the Welland Canal in 1824, when construction of the canal started. When the canal opened in 1829, the settlement became a port of entry.
- It was first called Port Beverley to honour Chief Justice John Beverley Robinson, a director of the canal company. When the post office was established in 1835 the name was changed to Port Robinson, also to honour Chief Justice Robinson.
- In its heyday, when teams of horses on shore towed ships through the canal, Port Robinson had four large hotels, several smaller ones, six saloons, many stores and businesses, a shipyard, and two drydocks.
- Steamers operated between Port Robinson and Buffalo. Then steam tugs replaced the teamsters and the government expropriated the shipyard, which had employed 300 men, in order to enlarge the canal.
Address of this page: http://on.ruralroutes.com/portrobinson